Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Why I Want to Teach

When I was younger, I always pictured myself being a pediatric nurse because I love children and I also love helping people in need. Then I got older and decided that I couldn't handle the blood and all the sad things that can come along with being a nurse. Then when I was 14, I got a job at the preschool that I went to myself when I was a preschooler. I was a camp counselor for an arts & crafts camp, and I immediately fell in love with working with children. I loved teaching them new things and generally just spending time with them. Children just have a positive aura about them that is always fun to be around. They are so positive and happy 24/7. This love that was started from working with children at this summer camp was nothing compared to the love I have for the students at my current job.

Back in my hometown of Waitsfield, Vermont, I work at a ski resort in the Day School. At the Day School, there are children from ages six weeks to six years old, but I primarily work in the preschool room and the children in that room are from two and a half years old to five years old. I am very lucky for the bonds that I formed with the children there. I work five days a week there, so I've gotten very close with all my students there. When I go back and visit while I'm at school, I immediately get football tackled by twenty three year olds and it makes me feel like I've made a big impression on their little minds. While at school, I get constant mail and packages from my students and from their families. From my first day of working there in 2012, I immediately fell in love with the profession of teaching. Even though I'm sure working in a preschool is completely different from being a classroom teacher. I love how intrigued children get when they hear about something they don't know about. They are so curious and eager to learn and be taught. Thats why I want to teach a young grade because they are young and so eager to learn more and more.

Another reason I want to be an elementary school teacher is because of the current education system today. When I was in the early elementary grades, I loved being in school. I would get excited to go to my classroom everyday and learn something new. Once I reached the higher grades such as fifth and sixth grade, I lost my love for school and learning which is incredibly unfortunate. I want to make sure as an early elementary grade teacher, that I establish a love for school and learning in my students that will last them all through their school experience.

3 comments:

  1. It is amazing how you can make such an impact on students by working with them for such a short time. It is nice to hear your story and why you decided to become a teacher. When I was an education major I too lost interest in working with fifth graders and older. I think that working with younger students can make it easy to keep them interested in learning, while it can be difficult to keep them interested in the subjects or even just trying to sit still. I wish you the best of luck in your future!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanted to be a pediatric nurse too! That is so funny. I also thought it was the best way to help people, especially children. I also found that I had a hard time with watching people pass away. I am so glad that you found teaching. It sounds like you are well suited for it and the experiences you've had really prove that. I also worked at a preschool/day school this summer and really enjoyed it. The kids were great and I enjoyed teaching them and playing with them! Sadly, the daycare I worked at was over staffed for the summer and I needed to find another job. I also want to be an elementary teacher! Great post! We have a ton in common! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you have a passion for teaching and love for children. You seem like you know exactly what you want to do with your life and you have a great future ahead of you. We need great elementary teachers that care for their students and will help them in every way, and it seems like you will. Working at a preschool is great experience and will help you in your future. We have a lot in common with working at a preschool. I grew close with my preschoolers this past spring and was sad when they had to go to kindergarten. Thank you for sharing this great post!

    ReplyDelete